Monday, October 10, 2011

Veggie Tales






After almost a full year of being back in my carnivorous ways, and 5 months pregnant, I am missing my Vegetarian, animal-friendly, feel-good (eating) lifestyle. I am the only on in my family, the only one of any relatively close friends and definitely the only one in my relationship who is or ever was even somewhat involved in a vegetarian lifestyle. And with already being criticized enough for not eating any cold cuts during this pregnancy, I am sure I will have a ton to stand up to, especially nearing the move-in date with J's family, all of whom are not vegetarians, when it comes to any of my family or friend's opinions if I decide to go back before the bun in the oven is done baking.

So I am a little torn. I want to be healthier and feel more at ease knowing I am not taking part in the many things wrong with the meat-industry, but... Is it worth it for the baby?

Everything I have read and all of the research I have found shows that as long as I balance out my diet with plenty of Iron, Calcium, and protein rich (non-meat) foods, I will be giving the baby more than enough juice to grow. Add to all of that the giant prenatal vitamins I have to shove down my easily-upset stomach every day and it sounds perfect.

There's my argument for the doubtful. But what about cravings?

I know, I know, if I am this passionate about it than they shouldn't be an issue, right? But have you ever had a pregnancy craving? My mother once had to run into the house to grab a spoonful of tartersauce just to be okay for a drive.

These bad boys can be serious. So, if I am a happy little animal loving veggie all over again, what happens when preggo-monster decides she wants a steak?! Will I be miserable, or take full advantage, only to backstep and have lived my veg. lifestyle all for nothing?

I am going on my next shopping spree only buying veg-friendly items, and hoping for the best, so we will see.

1 comment:

  1. I was a vegetrian for 6 years and once I was pregnant I got mean cravings for chicken and turkey. I just gave in and now still eat it. I buy organic and natural though :)

    ReplyDelete