Thursday, October 20, 2011

Musical Womb


Who decides the music you love? You.

Easy answer, but I know it has a lot to do with the music you are raised on, or around. For me, I was lucky, I had my parents listening to BB King and Led Zeppelin, and my brothers listening to Nirvana and Wu-tang.

I don't remember a single weekend growing up whether it was at my family home, or a single parent home where, when cleaning, or showering, or driving into the city there wasn't music being blasted at the highest volume point on the stereo or record player. And forget about the countless times I tried stealing my brothers walkman to listen to the new Talib Kweli or Busta Rhymes Single. I would later lock myself in my room and either listen to an old cassette I found in my dad's case or record songs I liked off of the radio while I pretended to do homework in Jr. High.

Music is what single-hand-idly brought John and I together, liking each others Erykah Badu posts on Facebook or playing some Jimi Hendricks on our way to a date.

I can say, without a doubt, music is my greatest influence when it comes to fashion, political ideals, love-interests, and even friendships I have. With the importance music has on our lives I find that figuring out what to play and what not to play in the delivery room, and what will be playing next to my tummy for the next 4-5 months not to mention all of the mornings getting ready or car rides taking Baby to Preschool or the grocery store are some of the easiest, yet most important choices I am already considering.

My laptops speakers sit directing in front of my belly, and my list for birth music is growing everyday.

I hope that when my Baby isn't such a baby anymore, they can say, undoubtedly, like myself, that my parents shaped their musical taste for the better, and along with that, a ton of other decisions they are proud of.

So, for now... I will let the Black Keys lullaby Baby away in there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment