Saturday, September 17, 2011

A Little Bit Of History


Did you know that for a few years people actually didn't know what they were having until their baby was born?
Say What?!

Yes. It's true. I promise. There wasn't always a thing called ultrasounds or Medical Sonography! Yep, actually up until a little over 50 years ago, When you were pregnant, you had no idea what an ultrasound was! So unless you were using one of the Chinese Gender Charts, or crossing your fingers that your wedding band swung one way instead of another... You just had to wait.

So, please, would someone explain to me, why my choosing to not find out the sex of my child baffles the minds of 90% of the people I tell? I know there is always the argument of "Well, now you have the ability to find out, so why not?" Sure, sure... But we have the ability to do and find out a lot of things in life, but are they all good, or important? Would you really like to find out ahead of time when you were going to die, or what it feels like to try crack? Probably not.

My mother didn't know what I was going to be, or my two brothers. And I sure didn't come home to a room that said Mommy's Handsome man or Lady Killer all over. So my choice to wait it out, and keep one, true surprise shouldn't be to huge of a concept to wrap a head around, right? In fact, John and I just chose colors to go with our Neutral Pirate theme last night. And he, the very, heterosexual, non-girly male was the one to really pick it out! Aqua/ Teal, Purple, Black, and White! I was pretty unsure on the purple, but being it was his suggestion... I don't think it'll be too girly at all!

See! It's possible to go a whole 9 months and however many years before your child is born not knowing if he or she will be a little boy or girl! And I'm not even someone who LOVES surprises! Now let's just find that little kid some of these!




No comments:

Post a Comment